We know that you, your loved ones, friends or employees lives may have been or will be touched by this disease.
Here are the facts you need to know:
Liver Disease in the United States
- 25,000,000 Americans – one in every 12 – are or have been afflicted with liver, biliary or gallbladder disease.
- 20,300 Americans die each year from chronic liver disease and cirrhosis; 360,000 people are hospitalized each year due to cirrhosis.
- Alcoholic liver disease and chronic hepatitis C are the leading causes of cirrhosis.
- Approximately 6,000 liver transplants are performed yearly in the US. Because of the shortage of organs, it is estimated that over 1,800 people die per year while waiting for a liver transplant. There are currently over 17,700 people waiting for a liver for transplantation.
- Hepatitis A and B are preventable by vaccination